Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Entertainment > News

Notices

News Discuss the news happening in your local area and any where else.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator
GCB Senior Citizen

Marc can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkMarc can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkMarc can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
Boy, 6, accused of sex abuse

THE Education Department has investigated claims a six-year-old student ran a "sex club" at an eastern suburban primary school, involving up to up to half a dozen grade 1 students.

One mother said her son, also six, was asked to perform a sex act, and that the alleged perpetrator also exposed his genitals to students.

Following an investigation, the department has admitted that the student exposed students to sexual conversations and proposed activities, but denied the existence of a "sex club". The alleged perpetrator received counselling.

The mother has been unable to make a police report because the law states sexual assault by a child under 10 cannot be prosecuted.

"Victims of a perpetrator who is under the age of 10 should still have the same rights as any other victim of a sexual crime," she said.

The case puts the Brumby Government under pressure to address the problem, barely two months after releasing new procedures guiding parents, teachers and schools on how to respond to allegations of student sexual assault.

The woman is critical of the department's investigation of sexual assault and bullying in schools and has united with parents from four other state schools to form SWAG, the Student Welfare Action Group.

The group will lobby to have the department's Student Critical Incident Advisory Unit removed from the department and established as an independent body, such as the ombudsman's office.

Parents Victoria executive officer Gail McHardy said the case raised concerns about the ability of the current legislation to protect young children. "There's a whole lot of questions around the children who are under 10. If the police can't take a statement, then how can they report their incident and then who takes carriage of it?"

Shadow education minister Martin Dixon, who will meet SWAG next month, said that, while he did not think the critical incident unit should be removed from the department, any investigation should be fair and open.

"The culture (in the department) seems to be one of hiding the problem instead of fixing the problem," he said. There was a "gaping hole" in the regulations, which needed to be re-written.

But consulting psychologist John Cheetham said six-year-olds did not have a developed sense of right and wrong. "They are too young to put themselves into someone else's shoes," he said. "We've got to be very careful about putting an adult take on it, it's all about context."

A department spokeswoman said the school acted appropriately, and "counselling had been offered to the students".

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Band Whore

adecou is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
As a mother of a 5 and 6 year old, I can say that while they are not stupid to the fact that their pee pees are not to be exposed to the world, they also don't realize that it is something hurtful. It's not ok that it happened, but to prosecute a child won't solve anything either. The parents are the ones who need to educate their children.

A Day in the Life of a Musician's Wife
My Myspace
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati
Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Productive GCB Member

Razz thinks they are the cool kid
This is fucked.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ambergirl sperm just hit the egg
wow it's happening to younger and younger kids these days.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Band Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambergirl View Post
wow it's happening to younger and younger kids these days.

It really is and that's why it's so important for parents to make sure they pay attention! My 6 year old is a football freak and EVERY other commericial on NFL network or during the regular season games have sexual content. It's no secret that they're exposed whether you parental control the tv or not. It's sad.

My Myspace
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
The Beast
Band Whore

jessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right afterjessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
I'm so glad maddox isn't to that stage yet. I'd be terribly unprepared as of now.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ambergirl sperm just hit the egg
That and the hidden messages in disney movies....
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Band Whore

There's so many of those Disney movie things, lol, I was the nerd who knew them all and had my friends over in middle school just to watch them all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa View Post
I'm so glad maddox isn't to that stage yet. I'd be terribly unprepared as of now.
I think we're always unprepared. We pretend to be prepared as parents, but children find ways to catch you offguard somehow!

My Myspace