Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Entertainment > News

Notices

News Discuss the news happening in your local area and any where else.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
The Beast
Band Whore

jessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right afterjessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
"Dream Concert" for MLK, JR. Memorial

Stars line up for King memorial fund-raiser
By DAVID HO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/18/2007

New York From Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin to Usher and Garth Brooks, an all-star lineup is to perform Tuesday night at Radio City Music Hall in "The Dream Concert" to benefit a national memorial in Washington for the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

The concert should raise awareness and money to build and maintain the memorial, which is expected to cost about $100 million and is scheduled for completion in 2009, said Harry Johnson, president of the memorial foundation.

About $82 million has already been raised, he said, and construction may begin this year on the National Mall on land next to the Tidal Basin and between the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials.

King "deserves his proper place with the other heroes of this country," Johnson said.

Music mogul Russell Simmons, one of the concert's main organizers, said it's important to have King's image near where he gave his "I Have a Dream" speech during the 1963 March on Washington.

"Martin Luther King exudes the kind of consciousness that we need in our country today, and kids need an image like his on the Mall today, besides the presidents and memorials about the wars," Simmons told The Associated Press.

Carlos Santana, John Legend, Queen Latifah, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Ludacris, Robin Thicke and Joss Stone are among the scheduled performers. Presenters include actress Whoopi Goldberg, Ben Vereen and Rachel Smith, the current Miss USA.

Smith, 22, said the memorial will help people in her generation be aware of what King accomplished and sacrificed.

She said she also feels a personal connection to the Atlanta civil rights leader. "My father is black and my mother is white. They're a testament to what Dr. King wanted to happen, seeing past the color of one another's skin."

The sale of concert tickets, which range from $150 to $1,000, will directly benefit the memorial, Johnson said.

Viacom Inc., which has pledged more than $1 million to support the memorial, is the concert's title sponsor.

In 1996, Congress authorized Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. to establish the memorial. Groundbreaking took place last year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati

Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned User
GCB Senior Citizen

Cherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkCherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkCherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
"I HAVE A DREAM..."
(and Jessa told me what it meant)
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM
The Beast
Band Whore

jessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right afterjessa is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
heheh.

why don't we have any huge concerts like this around here?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned User
GCB Senior Citizen

Cherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkCherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkCherry-Bomb Productions can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
UHHHHHH;Bayfest?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
The Beast
Band Whore

Have I mentioned I'm really good at book-smarts?