Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Gulf Coast Music Scene > Local Music > Recording Studios

Notices

Recording Studios See whats happening in the studios. Talk about your recording experiences here. Where is the best place to record? Where should you not go?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

cjmnash thinks they are the cool kid
Bands:Want That Analog Sound Without Leaving The House??

Here's a little something for everyone!

As you may know, I have a vintage, all analog studio in Nashville, TN called "Welcome To 1979" ( www.myspace.com/welcometo1979 ) which features a vintage analog console, 2" 24 track analog recorder, and several analog mix down decks. They sound great, are always on, and are always aligned- because I use them all the time.

I've had several local bands who are recording themselves book some time at the studio to come in simply and run their digital tracks through the console and tape machine(s) and/or run their mixes through my mix down decks - which are awesome ideas.

So here's my thought: If they felt the need to do that, I bet other bands do too. Why let something as trivial as geography get in the way?

I also have a pro tools rig (I know, that's not really 1979 LOL) and tons of server space. If this idea appeals to you, just hit me up and I'll set up a secure folder that only you and I have access to- you upload whatever [timestamped] individual tracks you'd like to hit tape (kick, snare, bass, vocal, whatever), I'll download them, run them through the console and tape machine (then line them up with the original and re-timestamp them as such) and upload the "vintage versions" of the tracks for you to download- they'll line up just fine with the rest of your tracks.

This also works for final mixes too and is even more simple (since there's no time stamping to do) I can run them through my console and to my main mix down deck and upload them for you.

I wanna keep this affordable, something where an independent band without much of a budget can afford to send me a few individual tracks from each song of their full length, or all of their mixes and not break the bank.

Everyone knows that analog sounds best but don't always use it because -let's face it- these consoles and tape machines are expensive.

Anyone interested in getting the sound that everyone talks about without spending big bucks? It couldn't be easier!

Chris Mara
Nashville, TN
www.chrismara.com
www.myspace.com/welcometo1979

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
It sounds like alot of trouble. But its really not.
Going from analog tape to digital is done alot more than what people know.

My Facebook page ADD ME!!!

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

James Dean
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati
Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

right-it's no trouble at all. all pro analog machines are capable of recording and playing back what was recorded on tape simultaneously, so it doesn't eat up a lot of my time to do this type of thing.

and- the difference is worth it!

my favorite "analog vs. digital" story is several years ago i mixed a record off of pro tools and through a console. each of the 10 songs i mixed back into pro tools, and through the studios' 1/4" analog deck. at the end of each day i gave the band and producer 2 versions of the mix and told them i "tweaked one of them" a bit. in reality, they were the same mixes, one straight from pro tools, one from the analog deck. after the smoke cleared- they had chosen the analog mixes 10 for 10.

so i bought the 1/4" deck from the studio! LOL

someone should give this a try- i know a lot of you are working on projects right now. send me a snare drum or something!

-chris
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
I like going through a tube pre for each signal, then an analog mixer, then into a hd recorder, or a daw.
You talk about a hot signal.
To me drums are blah without the tube pre's, it makes drums come alive.

My Facebook page ADD ME!!!

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

James Dean
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati
Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

this is more for people who've already recorded, and want access to some high end analog gear.
vintage console=iron
tape=iron oxide (rust)

ashes to ashes! LOL

-chris