Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Gulf Coast Music Scene > Local Music > Recording Studios

Notices

Recording Studios See whats happening in the studios. Talk about your recording experiences here. Where is the best place to record? Where should you not go?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Michael Robinson

something ive been wondering for a long time

how much does studio time cost on average?
is it by the hour or day?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati

Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Agent Jones, at your service.
GCB Senior Citizen

The Good Reverend, MATCHEW is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
depends...
yes....
yes....

some do it by the "day" (8-12 hours)
some by song
some by the hour

does that help?

ALWAYS listen to work they have done in the past
Make sure they understand your genre (or at least listen) and are on the same page.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Fawkin' Newbie

taproot thinks they are the cool kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Robinson View Post
All of the above apply. Whatever you're more comfortable with. If you're openeing a studio, base your hourly rate on your $$$$$ investment vs. experience.

Be extremely careful about flat fees and day rates. Specify STRICT time limits and/or constraints. A day does NOT equal 18hrs. (I charge a higher rate for hours over 10) I've seen a few studios go under because they agreed on flat fees and the artist took quadruple the time it should to finish the project.

Good luck with your project!
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"This is my Dad's new kitten, Petey! He'll bite the s#!t out of you!" -5 yr. old daughter to our new neighbor
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

cjmnash thinks they are the cool kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Robinson View Post
well, i am set up on a day rate for my engineering/producing services, and most of the studios i use are too. personally i think it helps keep art and commerce at a safe distance.

i have some other "frequently asked questions" here:

http://www.chrismara.com/faq.html

let me know if you have any other questions.

chris mara
nashville,tn
www.chrismara.com
www.myspace.com/chrismara
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Band Member
Fawkin' Newbie

gmonyxmas thinks they are the cool kid
It always takes "quadruple the time" to finish a project.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 AM
GCB Senior Citizen

amen.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Band Member
Fawkin' Newbie

mnamie2003 is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
Mattchew, we have a 12 track Korg recorder that we use at home for making CDs. I know it's not as good as a full-fledged studio but it has effects and gets the job done! To me, I can't tell the difference. The room we use has windows and no good acoustics but you can change all of that when you master the CD by adding effects that sound like an auditorium or a sound proof room. If you ever need help recording, we'll be happy to record stuff for you for free. The real money problem comes in when you have them manufactured. We use DiscMakers. I've always heard they're the best. They'll even tweak the sound if you need them to. It's just costly. But if you sell all of the CDs, you will make 10 times that amount back. That's just my 2cents worth.

Terri
Old 11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
GCB Senior Citizen

thanks terri, i appreciate the offer. i may call you if it doesn't work THIS time!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
xtonyx

I know boogie tracks here in Panama City is around 70/hour for studio time now. He was like 50/hour when i used him (like 6 years ago).

I've got a firepod recording setup on my computer if anyone needs recording lemme know. I do it for pretty much just food and gas money.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Band Member
Band Whore

guitarest thinks they are the cool kid
I have looked into this also and this is what I have decided to do. While I am still a starving artist and have to actually work to support my guitar habits I have 2 ways to record my material. The tried and true method is with a program that is designed by Acoustic Labs, and their product is the Acoustic Labs Mixer v2.5. Its a basic multi-track program that is OK for what I do. It allows for up to 8 tracks being recorded at the same time, but what I have noticed is that after 4 tracks the software gets serious lag issues. But if I remember I only paid like $40.00 for the program, not bad for a basic recording program. The one thing I really like is that this program will allow you to import *.wav, *.mp3 and *.wma files and will also allow you to save in those formats also. I use a older sound blaster live set up to record with this software, the card came with a adapter that goes in the front of the PC that allows for direct connection of standard input cables like a Guitar cable, Midi and standard RCA jacks.

More recently I have gotten into my POD XT Live and this device allows you to record if you donate more money to their software (did I say donate I meant purchase, lol) any ways their program is designed by Sonoma Wire Works and it is called RiffWorks Line 6 Edition; the way this thing works is really sweet. Throw out the way you used to record on your PC and all the hiss from live mics and any outside noises. You use the POD XTLive through your USB interface; then it goes to the computer. The only drawback is to listen to anything you have recorded with their program you have to have a amp plugged into the Pod or headphones; without you will be unable to listen to any tracks. I am just learning to use this software and its kinda freaky getting used to but the user interface is very friendly as long as your not asking it to do to many things that are difficult. Another drawback is the drum tracks are limited also, it comes with 5 basic patterns and if you want more they are 9.99 each; I have purchased a few patterns already and I have used a few of them so far on recorded/released tracks. Over all I have maybe $200.00 invested in this program with all the drum tracks and the initial purchase cost which I believe was $90.00; and this was a direct down load no cd's given. But if you do like I do and back up everything then nothing to worry about. The song I just recently posted here ( Simulation of Love) was recorded with this program using the Pod XTLive and for most of the tracks a Line 6 Variax was used, except for the lead which was a older Ibanez RG guitar.

OK I'm done.................

Last edited by guitarest; 12-20-2006 at 03:41 AM.