Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Gulf Coast Music Scene > Tips and Tutorials

Notices

Tips and Tutorials Tips and Tutorials for the music business. Have a tip..please share and help each other succeed.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
the rev slither of the church of malloz
Productive GCB Member

Mallozian is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right afterMallozian is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
How Unsigneds Bands Can Develop the King Midas Touch

Do you remember the story of King Midas? He's the one in Greek mythology who was so greedy, the Gods "blessed" him with the magical power that anything he touched would turn to gold. But it wasn't until he touched his only daughter that he realized his folly and decided that his blessing was actually a curse.

Well, I know a sort of King Midas. But let me tell you, he has the gift of gold without the curse. His name is Ryan Holley. He plays in the San Marcos, Texas band, Pavlov's Dogs.

I signed up on the Pavlov's Dogs' mailing list about a year ago. Their unique style of rock drew me in, but it was Ryan's charisma and incredible passion to succeed that told me this was one helluva band to keep an eye on.

Sadly, I moved. I disappeared from their mailing list until one day I got a call out of the blue. It was Ryan. He called to see if I was still interested in hearing Pavlov's Dogs. Ryan told me when and where their next gig was. They were performing for an Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands in San Antonio.

What really struck me the most about it was the personal touch. Ryan called from San Marcos...a long distance phone call. He made the extra effort to find my phone number, which had changed a couple times since last I saw them perform. He made me feel important, like I was one of his bandmates. He took the time to basically call me a friend.

You see, most fans aren't looking for great music. They're looking for something personal. For me, Pavlov's Dogs not only play great music, but they also have the drive and potential to be the best, because they combine music and friendship at a personal level. And that is the the true touch of gold.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati