Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Entertainment > Music

Notices

Music Discuss music in general. Who is your favorite artist? Hear any good rumors. Keep local unsigned band discussions in the local music forum.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator
GCB Senior Citizen

Marc can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkMarc can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkMarc can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
Gene Simmons blames NIN, Radiohead and fans, for 'death' of music industry

Last November it was reported that Gene Simmons, founding member of the rock group KISS, had gone off on Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and college aged pirates, going as far as to call Radiohead "idiots" and saying "Every little college kid ... should have been sued off the face of the earth," for their unauthorized downloading of course.

He has followed his last tirade with some new comments, this time again blaming NIN and Radiohead but more importantly, the music fans. "The record industry is dead," Simmons notes "It's six feet underground and unfortunately the fans have done this. They've decided to download and file share." He then insisted that the aforementioned bands were "contributing to the demise of the record industry" by using new intelligent sales models that apparently he does not approve of.

When asked why KISS had not released a new CD since 1998's 'Psycho Circus', Simmons added that "there is no record industry around so we're going to wait until everybody settles down and becomes civilized. As soon as the record industry pops its head up we'll record new material."

Of course, he neglects to note that at every turn the "dead" music industry continues to push consumers away, using the RIAA watch dog to sue children, grandmothers, and even deceased members of society while failing to confront the real problems the industry faces.

It is also important to note that Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails' "idiotic" experiments have raked in millions of dollars for the bands, with little overhead and more importantly, no revenue sharing with the labels. They gave the fans what they wanted, and the fans responded.

Source

Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

alex 101 thinks they are the cool kid
personally, i blame gene simmons' sex tape for the demise of the music industry.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

Just_Lee is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
He has some points..but as usual he puts his foot in his mouth before he can drive the point home...lol
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Productive GCB Member

Penelope is cool enough to date hot peoplePenelope is cool enough to date hot peoplePenelope is cool enough to date hot peoplePenelope is cool enough to date hot peoplePenelope is cool enough to date hot peoplePenelope is cool enough to date hot people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Lee View Post
He has some points..but as usual he puts his foot in his mouth before he can drive the point home...lol
I hope he takes those platform shoes off first.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Band Member
Band Whore

sixstringer66 is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
eh, gotta love gene simmons, the business man. Even the rocker, but someone tell me how the death of the labels is a bad thing...? there was music before the labels, and their will be music after the labels. I don't need a record label approved cd to enjoy music I'm listening to. Anyone could easily point fingers at certain moves bands have made in the past to help "destroy the labels", BUT i hate to look at this in a negative way. Change is good, so lets bring on the age of free music. The way is should be. in my opinion.

oh, And for him to say KISS is not going to record until the record industry pops its head up, is either a misquote, or just plain ignorant. sorry.

Some or all of this post was not written for reliable information of any sort, you must consult an officially qualified professional in your local area.
You use this at your own risk.

Some poeple should just write a book. And stay off the the internet.
You bought the ticket.....You take the ride!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sixstringer66
You know what sucks? One day we'll all be dead.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

Downloading and file sharing has definately hurt the record industry. Lars Ulrich had it right a few years ago too. Whether it is a bad thing or not...time will tell. I'm not a fan of the record industry, but I do agree with Gene Simmons on the fact that the record industry is basically 6 feet under. The only problem with free music is that it won't be free long. Some rich bastards are going to find a way to stop "free"...bet on it. But music will live on in some shape or form. It will be on a much lower scale....that means the small, local type bands could be even farther down.....just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Band Whore

savereno thinks they are the cool kid
Gene Simmons: "there is no record industry around so we're going to wait until everybody settles down and becomes civilized. As soon as the record industry pops its head up we'll record new material."

I can translate shithead...

This = "Our music is so shitastic that no one will download it for free, much less buy it. This makes us way jealous of those who can do it."

There you go...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Band Member
Screamo for Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by savereno View Post
Gene Simmons: "there is no record industry around so we're going to wait until everybody settles down and becomes civilized. As soon as the record industry pops its head up we'll record new material."

I can translate shithead...

This = "Our music is so shitastic that no one will download it for free, much less buy it. This makes us way jealous of those who can do it."

There you go...
Could be but you would be surprised how big their loyal fan base really is. The KISS Organization is worth over 300 million. Not too bad for a bunch of no talent losers.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:04 AM
Band Member
Band Whore

sixstringer66 is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Lee View Post
Could be but you would be surprised how big their loyal fan base really is. The KISS Organization is worth over 300 million. Not too bad for a bunch of no talent losers.

All the more reason to say "screw the labels, lets put out our own record"

Thats why I say it is a misquote. I just don't see Gene saying something as foolish as that. Then Again, He may just be looking for publicity, which he has been well known to do...

I don't think anyone has called them no talent losers though.

Some or all of this post was not written for reliable information of any sort, you must consult an officially qualified professional in your local area.
You use this at your own risk.

Some poeple should just write a book. And stay off the the internet.
You bought the ticket.....You take the ride!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sixstringer66
You know what sucks? One day we'll all be dead.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Band Whore

savereno thinks they are the cool kid
If this guy had an inkling of talent that Radiohead or NIN had he wouldn't be so worried. Dinosaurs hate change, Maybe that $300 million franchise can help pay for some more plastic surgery for him and his wife.

I agree the dude has bucks, what is he really worried about?

He runs a clothing line, has a reality tv show (or did, I didn't watch it), and is in band that I have no idea why people ever liked (to each their own).

I guess all old men are cranky and bitchy, eh?