Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum  
GCB Home Photo Gallery Links GCB Myspace
Go Back   Gulf Coast Bands Music Forum > Classifieds > For Sale/Wanted

Notices

For Sale/Wanted Have some junk for sale? One man's trash is another man's treasure. Posts are deleted after 30 days.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Fawkin' Newbie

Scott thinks they are the cool kid
Vocal coach?

I sing hard rock and heavy metal, but I'm finding that I strain my voice quite a bit at practice, and end up sounding like ass. Anybody know where to get good singing lessons around here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati

Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
I would so like to help you man but, I don't know if that style is trainable.
All the vocal coaches I know to you how to breath and really sing the right way, using you diaphram. If you do any amount of screaming that could be your down fall, because you use you throat.
Only advice I can give you is to not scream unless you have to, and try getting the guys to tune down a half step on their guitars, and turn the volume down so you don't have to sing hard to be louder.
Blowing your voice out ain't good for you.

My Facebook page ADD ME!!!

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

James Dean
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Fawkin' Newbie

Yeah that's one of the biggest problems is trying to hear myself over my own guitar and the drums and everything else. I don't think our jam space is very well set up, sound wise. I don't scream constantly in our songs, and some of them not at all. I tend to transition from clean melodic vocals to a guttural yell. My voice is really deep so I avoid the high pitched screaming. I would really just like to pick up some good warm-up and cool down exercises and work on my clean singing. I think it would help out all around. Trust me, I have no desire to blow my voice.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

ssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drinkssspert can sit with Marc and buy him a drink
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CWsFaVnWM

Google it.

Warm up on your scales kinda like humming or rattling it in your throat pushing how long you can hold a note. do re me fa so la tee daaaaaaaaaa, change which note you hold.

For practice, come off the mixer and go into some cans so you can hear yourself. Getting a hard headed guitarist to turn down is almost like asking him to turn off his ego.

James Dean

Last edited by ssspert; 04-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Band Member
Band Whore

clockworkengine is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right afterclockworkengine is allowed to buy Marc a drink and leave right after
It also pays to breathe correctly.
Some call that using a diaphragm, which it is,
but it's also about regulating the air flow from the diaphragm using your throat. You can use your throat to constrict the air flow evenly, making for clean notes that you can hold virtually as long as will be needed.

You can also use your throat to distort your voice with a similar technique for scream vocals. Just keep regulating that airflow.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Fawkin' Newbie

trober1361 thinks they are the cool kid
zen of screaming. helps with singing and the other. gotta buy both dvds though.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Band Whore

Lerxstcat thinks they are the cool kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssspert View Post
Getting a hard headed guitarist to turn down is almost like asking him to turn off his ego.
What finally got me to turn down was listening to board tapes and realizing I wasn't in the mix because the soundman would turn me off for being too loud on stage.

The smart ego wants to be heard on the board recordings after the fact too! Thank God for modern amps where you can get your drive sounds from the preamp and use the power tubes just for a little extra warmth, and not for the main oomph of your sound!

When I was young, I preferred EL34s because they sagged better for drive, like pushing a JMP or JCM800. Now I like 6L6s because they DON'T have a lot of sag, and just warm up a signal from a driving preamp. Then when you switch to clean, it is fucking CLEAN! Gotta love it, and it's more controllable with a lot less ringing of the ears.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Fawkin' Newbie

I had googled some stuff before but I'm digging the youtube guy. I must have missed him before. Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxstcat View Post
What finally got me to turn down was listening to board tapes and realizing I wasn't in the mix because the soundman would turn me off for being too loud on stage.

The smart ego wants to be heard on the board recordings after the fact too! Thank God for modern amps where you can get your drive sounds from the preamp and use the power tubes just for a little extra warmth, and not for the main oomph of your sound!

When I was young, I preferred EL34s because they sagged better for drive, like pushing a JMP or JCM800. Now I like 6L6s because they DON'T have a lot of sag, and just warm up a signal from a driving preamp. Then when you switch to clean, it is fucking CLEAN! Gotta love it, and it's more controllable with a lot less ringing of the ears.
Thats cool, everbody I play with looks at me funny when I ask if I can leave my amp at home and go direct.
I love my mesa amp and its tone. A sans pre amp, and a compressor direct to the mixer is all any bassist would ever need.

James Dean
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Band Member
GCB Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I had googled some stuff before but I'm digging the youtube guy. I must have missed him before. Thanks
You are welcome.

Eric Arceneaux is awesome.

James Dean